It is certainly true that change is the only constant! The NAC is undergoing constant, unrelenting transition, evolution and adaption at both strategic and an operational levels. It is imperative for the NAC to change at a faster pace than its environment in order to stay relevant to the needs and expectations of its stakeholders and to deliver on its mandate as a public sector entity.
Read the NAC Ehance Strategy 2014/2018
Read the Strategy Document
The mandate (objects) of the NAC is set out in its founding legislation, the NAC Act (1997).
- To provide, and encourage the provision of, opportunities for persons to practice the arts
- To promote the appreciation, understanding and enjoyment of the arts
- To promote the general application of the arts in the community
- To foster the expression of a national identity and consciousness by means of the arts
- To uphold and promote the right of any person to freedom in the practice of the arts
- To give the historically disadvantaged such additional help and resources as are required to give them greater access to the arts
- To address historical imbalances in the provision of infrastructure for the promotion of the arts
- To promote and facilitate national and international liaison between individuals and institutions in respect of the arts
- To develop and promote the arts and to encourage excellence in regard to these.
Download our Policies documents below
- National Arts Council Act
- NAC Act as Amended by the Cultural Laws Amendment Act of 2001
- Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) – All our legacies, our common future