The Board of the South African Library for the Blind (SALB) invites applications from suitably qualified South African citizens for the following position to commence on 1 February 2023 or earlier:
Chief Executive Officer (Director)
(5-Year Fixed-Term Contract)
The South African Library for the Blind is a Schedule 3A Public Entity under the National Department of Sports, Arts and Culture and is governed by the provisions of the South African Library for the Blind Act, 91 of 1998.
Located in Makhanda (Grahamstown) in the Eastern Cape, the South African Library for the Blind (SALB) provides a national library and information service to the blind and print-disabled readers in South Africa. It is a national institution with an international reputation. The library houses the national Braille and audio collections. The SALB librarians select and supply reading materials and offer a bibliographic service to its readers countrywide. The library also has a production section which produces Braille and audio materials for its members, as well as tactile materials for juniors. It provides advice and support service on braille matters and standards.
The Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the SALB and is responsible for the executive management of the library. S/he is also the Accounting Officer for the SALB. The Director presently reports to the Board as an ex officio member.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary, with exceptional management and leadership skills including change management skills. S/he will have excellent knowledge and expertise in the development, production and use of braille and alternative forms of information reproduction core to the SALBs primary mandate and will meet the following requirements:
- A Masters (NQF-9) or higher-level qualification in Library and Information Science or Business Management, coupled with at least 7 years working experience in a library-related field of which 5 years should be at a senior management level; or
- A relevant NQF-8 (Honours level) qualification with 10 years working experience in a library-related field of which 5 years should be at a senior management level.
- Executive management and strategic leadership capabilities.
- Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of management theory and practices, inclusive of financial management, human resources management, operations management, project management and general resource management.
- Knowledge and awareness of current trends and practices in the library and information sector.
- Knowledge of Information Communication Technology (ICT) as applied in the library environment and related fields.
- Knowledge of marketing and fundraising will be an added advantage.
- Excellent contract management skills and knowledge of Memorandums of Understanding and Service Level Agreements.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the South African Library for the Blind Act, the PFMA/ MFMA and Treasury Regulations, Supply Chain Management (SCM) and related Acts and prescripts; Labour Relations Act and prescripts, etc.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the internal and external audit function.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills as well as good presentation skills. Fluency in one or more additional South African languages will be advantageous.
- Advocacy experience in sectors such as the blind and visually-impaired sector, library sector, government sector, and other relevant sectors will be advantageous.
Key Responsibilities of the post:
- Executive Leadership and Strategic Management: Develop and monitor a visionary and ambitious strategic plan and Annual Performance Plan for the SALB and monitor day-to-day operations of the Senior Management team at the SALB in alignment to governmental processes and procedures.
- Financial Management: As accounting officer, assume the overall responsibility and oversight of financial management, budgeting and control of the finances of the Library. This responsibility extends to risk management, SCM, asset management, insurance management, banking controls, investment management, internal and external audit reporting as well as other ad-hoc financial returns. Ensure that at least an unqualified audit opinion is maintained for the SALB.
- Human Resource Management: To lead and assume overall control of the Human Resources Management in terms of staffing matters, Compensation and Benefits Management, Personnel
Records Management, Performance Management, Employment Equity, Training and Development, Employee Relations and Human Resource Administration in terms of a staff complement of over 50.
- Library and Information Service (LIS) Management: Assume the overall responsibility of the LIS Department, in terms of collection management, membership growth, circulation of reading materials, sound copyright processes and practices, database management, and promotion of braille in particular.
- Production and Standards: Assume the overall responsibility for the production targets, processes, practices and quality control, for both audio and braille, in line with international standards.
- ICT Management: Assume the overall responsibility over ICT management, in terms of the Library Management System and data integrity, website, hardware, software and infrastructure management.
- Assume overall responsibility over marketing, fundraising, public relations, project management, stakeholder relationships, management and engagement, and general operations.
- Assume overall responsibility for technical services, infrastructure and Health and Safety matters.
- Maintain and advance technical research in the fields of audio and Braille.
- Collaborate with similar institutions internationally.
- Establish and manage professional relationships with government, publishers and vendors of both print and electronic information and various other stakeholders.
- Lead any change management processes in relation to the SALB, as advised by the Board and/or the Department.
- Report to the Board, Executive Authority, Parliament, etc. in terms of the above through the appropriate lines of communication as may be amended.
Applications must be addressed to: Loren Hendricks at Jackie Cory Recruitment on email address email@example.com Contact telephone number 041 364 2244 / 081 263 6964
The SALB offers a market-related Cost to Company remuneration package in line with the institution’s current salary grading system and remuneration scales
Closing date for applications: 25 October 2022
- Applications from suitably qualified candidates from designated groups, particularly persons with visual impairments will receive preference, given the sector we serve.
- In terms of the Employment Equity Plan of the SALB, applications from suitably qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged.
- Short-listed candidates may be required to undergo competency testing.
- SALB reserves the right not to appoint any person to this position.
- Original certificates and/or testimonials may be requested from shortlisted candidates for verification purposes before confirming an appointment.