The Chief Financial Officer will have delegated responsibilities from Chief Executive Officer and will ensure that effective financial controls are in place, play an active role in risk management as well as account to Chief Executive Officer for financial success, asset management, resources and compliance to all financial regulations.
The Chief Financial Officer will fulfil all statutory responsibilities as outlined in the PFMA.
The candidate will report directly to the CEO and will be responsible and accountable for:
- Planning, organising and controlling of all activities of the Finance unit
- Monitor compliance of Supply chain management and ensure its functions effectively
- Monthly and quarterly Financial Management and Compliance reports
- Maintain a healthy balance sheet of the Council
- Coordinate and prepare all aspects of the annual operating budget, capital budget, Estimate of National Expenditure and the Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF)
- Ensure compliance to the Public Finance Management Framework and all other relevant legal framework
- Assist with the development and the execution of the organisation’s strategy
- Prepare finance strategy to support organisational strategy
- Determine and implement financial policies for the organisation
- Responsible for the entire accounting and reporting function
- Monitor and review the preparation of Annual Financial Statements in accordance with Generally Recognised Accounting Principles (GRAP)
- Ensure that the organisation is managed on sound financial and business principles
- Assume Enterprise wide Risk management duties
- Oversee payroll preparations and pay-outs
- Attend Council and committee meetings
- Be responsible for the set up and compilation of financial reports for including Annual Financial Statement
- Monitor the Audit Implementation Plan to achieve a good audit outcome
- Liaise with Internal Auditors on the implementation of the three year rolling plan
- Liaise with the office of the Auditor-General, Internal Audit, National Treasury, Department of Arts and Culture and other stakeholders
- Support the CEO with performance monitoring and development of strategic interventions, if required, to improve performance information of the Council
- A Hons. B Com/ Hons. B Compt degree or equivalent with Accounting/Government Accounting and 5 years’ experience in public finance management;
- A SAICA CA qualification or other Professional Accounting body qualification is an added advantage;
- A Masters qualification is an added advantage;
- Extensive and demonstrable skills,
- Knowledge and experience relevant to performing the functions of a Chief Financial Officer in the public sector;
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the PFMA, including proven experience in its application;
- Relevant experience and skills in Supply Chain Management within a trading entity and in any other GAAP environment would be a strong recommendation;
- Pastel experience is essential;
- Proven managerial skills;
- A track record in preparation and management of strategic plans, business plans and budgeting;
- The ability to implement internal systems and controls to ensure sound financial management, and other management practices.
- Financial management skills.
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Account management skills.
- Planning and organising skills ability.
- Efficient and accurate with attention to detail.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Business acumen.
- Delivery focus.
- Team work.
Market related packages will be negotiated with the successful candidates. If you have not heard from the NAC in two weeks after the closing date, please consider your application been unsuccessful. The NAC applies the Employment Equity Act in its recruitment process and strives for a staff complement that is representative of South Africa.
A covering letter and a detailed CV including three contactable referees and certified copies of qualifications should be addressed to the Human Resources Office at P O Box 500, Newtown, Johannesburg, 2113 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 29th March 2019