Individuals; institutions; community groups and organizations are eligible for funding.
Types of projects
- Creative writing (writing and research grants, including, autobiographies, novels, short stories, children’s literature)
- Literary festivals and conferences
- Poetry by established writers
- Commissioned research
- Literary magazines
- Story telling
- Residency programmes
- Workshops (submit names and CV’s of facilitators, list of participants and detailed content of the workshop)
- Publishing subsidies for publishing houses (to apply directly to the NAC. Publishing houses can apply for maximum of 5 books. Applications should have marketing and distribution plan/strategy of the published material they are applying for).
- Publishing courses (short courses) from reputable institutions
- Individuals who wish to have their manuscripts published should approach publishing companies/publishing houses to apply on their behalf.
The following budgetary items may be considered
- Writer’s grant (check requirements with NAC)
- Artists fees
- Publishing costs
- Research costs
- Workshop costs
- Other relevant project related costs
The maximum period for which funding may be requested is twelve months
Applicants must submit at least one example of existing text that they are applying for with the application when applying for a writing grant.
1. Individual bursaries are offered for studies toward a post-graduate degree in publishing and/or creative writing.
2. Institutions are advised to apply directly to the NAC on behalf of undergraduate students.
Categories not funded
- Publishing in the form of CDs.
- Writing in other subjects that are not of creative writing genre.
- Vanity press.
- Competitions, prize money and adjudication.
- Running costs
- Purchasing of books
- Individuals applying for publishing
- General magazines
- Book launches
N.B. Writers are urged to register with professional bodies. Literary magazines and publications should have an editorial committee and such names must be submitted with application. Budding writers are required to submit a letter of acknowledgement/ appointment of a supervisor to mentor their work. The NAC is unlikely to fund the entire budget of the project. Quotations should be submitted with the application form. You are also advised to refer to NAC’s general information.